Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 5 Recap- R. B. Winter Park


32 miles of primitive east coast style single track- that's what today's stage was hailed as.  I wasn't  really sure what 'primitive' meant heading into it.  I was kind of expecting trails that were overgrown, poorly built, and that went straight up and down the mountains.  After all, that's what east coast riding used to be.  To everyone's pleasant surprise, the trails were actually in great condition and rideable.  There was a mix of road, single track on old logging roads, and some actual rough rocky PA single track throughout the day.

After a neutral rollout to get us across the highway, we lined up at the bottom of a dirt road and on the whistle the field was in a dead sprint up the hill.  We gradually made our way into the day's first single track descent, and I instantly found myself in similar company from yesterday's ride.  Having rained overnight, and starting the stage in the mist and cool damp weather, one by one the riders in front of me started to stumble and fall away on the greasy rocks.  Knowing the conditions, I knew I just needed to keep the bike loose underneath me, let it slide on the rocks, and ride a little conservatively.  Keeping it upright has been the goal throughout the week, and today in particular I think that made the difference in keeping the bike working, staying healthy, and keeping a good attitude towards the stage.

Overall I had a good day on the bike.  For the first time this week I actually felt like I was racing my bike.  I was finally riding away from people I'd been with all week and was able to actually add some intensity.  I wish I had been able to push the singletrack a little harder, but oh well, I'll save that for a day with better conditions.

Friday will already be day 6 of the Transylvania Epic.  This, from what everyone is telling me, is the best stage of the event.  It looks to have everything, great singletrack, long climbs, and some amazing views.  It will also be the last long day of the event covering just over 40 miles and should be a heck of a way to start to wrap up singletrack summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment